Sunday, August 31, 2008

Waiting

I'm getting ready to leave for the farm today, but I just got an email from the farmer that his wife is in the hospital with some salmonella poisoning so I have to take the later bus. Is it a bad sign that a farmers wife has salmonella poisoning? Should I be worried?

Last night I had to switch rooms in the hostel and it turned out to be a great move because I ended up with a lovely new roommate from Germany named Annemarie who was exactly my age. We chatted for a while in the room and then she asked me if I had heard anything about the massive metal festival going on in Bergen right now. And it was such an enlightening question, because I was seriously wondering what was going on here that there were so many creepy dudes with long hair and piercings and leather jackets and pantera t-shirts. Here I was thinking that Bergen just had a lot of metal dudes living here year round!! She thought that was hilarious that I didn't realize something was going on and just took it as normal. Ahh well.

Anyways, she was curious to see what it was all about, so she asked me if I wanted to accompany her. I was super psyched because going to a Norwegian metal festival with your hostel bunkmate seems just entirely appropriate, doesn't it? We wandered there, far out in the city like 20 mins from our hostel, and of course when we got there they informed us that it was sold out and had been for quite some time. So we didn't get a chance to see Carcass perform, unfortunately. Aw shucks! Ha. We ended up sitting by the water and watching hideous drunken metalheads stumble around for a while, and had a really lovely conversation. It was sooo refreshing to actually talk to someone for a while, I had been missing it the past couple of days!

No comments: