Friday, August 29, 2008

Overwhelming Beauty

This post has to be super brief, because I think I may be spending my life savings at this internet cafe. It's quite nice and very comfortable, but good god is it expensive to use the internet in Bergen! Or more likely, I just found the most expensive place to do it and I'll round the corner in a few minutes and find a cheaper cuter place. Whatever!

Today I took an 8 hour train ride from Oslo to Bergen. Because I bought the ticket in advance, it only amounted to about $55 dollars, and let me tell you it was worth every penny and more! The train was pretty old (but in a nice way, not a delapidated way) and had these big picture-windows so you could see the scenery as you zoomed by it. I started out ooohing and aahhing with the little dude next to me from Oslo, and snapping pictures every few minutes, but as we went up through the mountains the scenery got more and more beautiful, that by the time we got to the glacier Hardangerjøkulen I was kind of in an amazed stupor. It was STUNNINGLY beautiful. The kind of beautiful that you cannot even capture with a camera. I don't care how schmancy your camera is, you can't document something like that. The train meandered through all these mountain villages and we saw waterfalls and icy lakes and little houses with sod rooves that grass was growing on top of, and green valleys with cows grazing by rushing streams. I tell you, I decided then and there that I am officially not a city girl anymore. We'll see if I change my tune after 2 months of the rugged farm life, but as of right now (Day 2) I want to become a rugged outdoorswomen who cross-country skis and hikes glaciers and whatnot. Maybe I'll make cheese for a living. I don't know. Either way, I guess I'm just trying to say I was really inspired.

Ok before I run out of all my cash at this cafe (it may be too late already), I will end by saying that I feel like I've been gone for a hell of a lot longer than 2 days. Wow! I also feel like I have a lot to say, but every time I sit down to write I just end up rambling on and on.. I think it's because I haven't been speaking very much since I don't know anyone yet, and so all these words are building up and just explode out of me as soon as I start typing! Achh.. more to come later I'm sure.

No comments: