Thursday, August 28, 2008

Oslo

I'm currently sitting in a little internet cafe in Oslo Station, right around the corner from my hotel.
What did it take me to get here.. hmm. Well, I took a car service to Penn Station where I got on the PATH Train to Newark and then transferred to the Air Train to Liberty Airport where I waited for 4 hours and then flew for 7 hours and landed at Oslo Airport where I had to then catch the NSB train to Oslo Station. Easy peasy!
Oh but I lied in my previous post when I said you won't be disappointed. You will. Already. Because guess who was on my flight from Newark to Oslo? 50 Cent. And his 15 dude entourage. And I didn't document it! So whose to say I'm not making it up? His entourage showed up during final boarding call, but 50 rolled in 10 minutes after we were set to depart. Why is he flying Continental Business Class, is what I am wondering. You'd think a dude who is pretentious enough to make a semi-fictional movie based on his life (and star in it) would only fly his private jet.
But enough about mediocre celebrities. Let's discuss what's really important: coffee and sandwiches!! I'm having trouble with the quick currency conversion in my head (Kuki's parting gift of a calculator watch has proved completely necessary!!) and so I believe that I managed to spend $6.50 on an iced americano today. It was so delicious that I don't feel too regretful, but I might not want to get in the habit of doing that.

Then came the search for the perfect sandwich that Hillary and I had been salivating about for months prior to this journey. I had my eye out for a good sandwich shop all day long, but every time the sight of a display case crammed with delciously filled baguettes would lure me in, I would get disappointed because they only had Italian sandwiches. Finally around 5:30, when the hunger was starting to turn to crankiness, I found a beautiful little bakery with a whole display of decidely Norwegian sandwiches. Buttered brown bread, crisp cucumbers, thinly sliced tomatoes, peppery smoked salmon, and hard boiled egg. Oh my dear god, it was exactly what I was looking for. So glad I didn't settle for anything less.

Ok I'm even beginning to bore myself with talk of transportation and sandwiches. I've been here less than 24 hours and I need some sleep! What do you expect?
Tomorrow I have to wake up at 5:30am in order to catch my train to Bergen, where the real adventure begins. 2 days there in a hostel, and then a bus to the first farm!!

I actually am feeling extremely comfortable and not at all nervous.

This city is easier to navigate than New York, it seems. And in all my aimless wandering, I did not get run into ONCE!! Not by a careless elbow, or a bike or car whose way I was probably in. What a satisfying feeling. Seriously.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You sound happy and relaxed, my friend! Glad that you arrived safely. Please, savor a scrumtious sandwich for me. :)

50 Cent, huh? Travelling business...interesting...