Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sugar Highs

I am pretty tired, so this post will have to be somewhat brief.
I had a really fun day with Vilde (Anders' daughter) and Sara (the other wwoofer). We went with Anders and Hilde to the art fair, as I mentioned previously. It was nice, overall, but most of the art wasn't that interesting to me. There was wall of these bizarre little plastic figures that the artist had pasted his own face on. That was fun to look at. But strange. Very strange. He called himself ClayBoy. I didn't read his artists statement, but we took a photo in front of his wall.

When we got home, I did a little research on wwoofing in France. Right now I am thinking of Corsica in November, perhaps? I'll start emailing the hosts tomorrow. Anyways, time flew by, and eventually Sara came over to me and was like Are you hungry because I am starving. And it was 8pm and we hadn't eaten since lunchtime. Hilde was cleaning the horse barn and Anders was out hunting deer and Vilde was on the phone I think. Anyways, we took everything that looked tasty out of the fridge and the cupboard, and Sara began slicing up some bread. Vilde came downstairs and was thrilled to join in. We ate nearly the entire loaf of bread, with toppings that consisted of pesto, salami, tomatoes, avocados, various fish in tubes, cheeses, blueberries, honey, peanut butter, nottepalegg (nutella, essentially). It was a real feast. We drank milk and got the giggles. It was really fun. Vilde very seriously declared "I can't imagine a better way to spend this Saturday night" before chomping into a sandwich piled high with fancy cheese.

So yeah, that was lovely. And then Hilde returned and told us that Anders had shot a deer and the neighbor Carl was helping him transport it back from the woods on his tractor. We all rushed over to Carl's barn to see it. It was cold and dark, and the lights from the tractor were very bright. I took some photos of the big buck, and when it was all set up to slaughter Carl looked at me with a smile in his eyes and handed me a knife. Him and I both knew that I wasn't gonna do it. I wanted to be that gutsy wwoofer who will try anything, but I knew I couldn't. The smell of blood and the steam rising off the newly killed deer was actually making me feel a little ill already, and I was a few feet away. I'm not the most squeamish person, but I'm also not so good with blood and guts.
Vilde and I went back to the house, but Sara stayed and helped them skin the deer. She's a physical therapist, so she said it was fascinating to see the way the muscle attaches to the skin and to view all the organs and stuff. Personally, I can live without seeing that much.

I did capture a nice shot of the deer arriving on the back of the tractor though. The tractor lights look theatrical and give the whole scene a bit of a surreal tone, I think.

No comments: