Thursday, September 18, 2008

Glaciers and stuff

Well, I've had a busy week!
Right now I am very sleepy and very full. We went blueberry picking today, and came home and immediately cooked up some delicious blueberry pancakes and stuffed our faces and now everyone is napping. I'm baking some more bread, and later this evening Anders will teach Sara and I how to salt and cure and cut the meat..
This meat here:
So, last weekend, my hosts Anders & Hilde went to Hilde's farm on the island, leaving me and my wwoofer buddies Pete & Ginny to take care of Ytre Aasen here in the mountains. We decided to go for a mini road trip, which Pete entitled the Magical Mystery Tour (very original). He was the Navigator, Ginny was the DJ/Caterer, and I was the Trip Photographer. First we went into the town center of Foerde, where there is little else but a large shopping center (a mall, essentially). We went to the mall and browsed around H&M. I hadn't seen that amount of people in such a long long time, it was like sensory overload, and I will admit that I actually had a wonderful time. It's amazing to realize that I could be overwhelmed by the "crowds" in such a tiny small town in the middle of nowhere. NYC might just blow me away! No, but honestly, I really do like people a lot. Not so many that you can't move without running into someone, but more than like 2.

Our road trip led us to the Josteldalsbreen Glacier (largest glacier in continental Europe) and along the Sognefjord (one of the longest fjords in the world). We stopped at loads of roadside viewing spots to take photos, and ooohed and aahed a lot, and listened to Led Zeppelin, and overall it was very nice. Lots of amazing nature, all right along the roadside.

On Sunday we went bilberry picking up the mountain again, and when we came home we gathered up the lambs from the pasture into the barn. Anders came home that evening and together we all marked the fattest rams with a green crayon on their foreheads, to be picked up for slaughter in the morning. It should have been a similar experience as the ram wrangling on Skorpa, but somehow it was a lot more depressing. I didn't even take any photos. Maybe it was worse because I am now alot more fond of the sheep overall, and I feel a greater connection to them than on my first day at the farm. But I think it was also because they were gathered together in these enclosed pens, indoors, to wait overnight for their sad fate. The rams on Skorpa were ushered into those metal crates only moments before the boat came to pick them up.
I also bonded with one of the fated rams in the sheep house this Sunday. He got my attention by attempting to nibble on my hand, and then was so sweet and so tame, and just stood there wagging his tail and looking up at me... it honestly broke my heart. Pete saw me petting this sweet little guy and said "If it was your farm, I have a feeling only two lambs would make it onto that truck in the morning" and Anders said that if the little lamb had been a ewe they might have kept him because of his sweet temperment, but they really have no use for rams on the farm, so he had to go. What an awful night! I attempted to be brave about it, but I felt really awful in the morning when I heard that truck leaving. I did shed a few tears too, behind closed doors. But it's all part of the farm experience, I suppose, right?

On Monday night, we had a new arrival. The German wwoofer Sara came to stay for about 12 days. She had been here before for 5 weeks in the beginning of the summer, and is stopping by again before returning home. She is only 1 year younger than me, and also is traveling alone for the first time (although she's been on the road for months and months now, and I am just beginning). It's wonderful to have more company and meet a new person, and she's very cool as well, which is a bonus. Anders' daughter Vilde is also visiting from college in Bergen for the weekend, so I think this weekend will be a lot of fun. On Saturday we are going to a local arts festival, and on Sunday cooking a big Greek feast. Finally something I know about! Greek food! haha

Frost is coming soon. Today the air was very chilly and the leaves are turning beautiful colors.
On Tuesday we went hiking up a mountain to search for the remaining sheep that are still at large. It was stunningly beautiful, and there were tons of blueberries all along the way for snacking on. Wonderful!

Wednesday was spent digging up the rest of Anders' potatoes. 6 hours on our hands and knees in the dirt! It actually was not so bad. We rummaged with our gloved hands in the overturned dirt for the hidden potatoes, and it reminded me of being a kid again (because I think that was the last time I played in the dirt for so long).

Today was grey and chilly, but we went back to the foot of the mountain where the blueberries were really thick on the bushes, and between the for of us (me, Sara, Anders & Hilde) picked 20 kilos of blueberries. Amazing!

5 comments:

Aaron Rester said...

"listened to Led Zeppelin" - please, please tell me you listened to "The Immigrant Song" while overlooking a fjord in Norway. That would be the most awesome thing I have ever heard.

Emma Maria said...

Oh my god. I did!!!
And you know, I didn't even THINK about the lyrics since I've heard that song so many times. Did not register at all.
Ha!!
I love it. So ridiculous.

corinneeats said...

You may think what you are doing is boring and/or monotonous, but I thoroughly enjoy reading each and everyone of your entries!

Emma Maria said...

Thanks Corinne!
I guess I was just having a homesick moment, missing city life.
But this experience is really wonderful overall. I shouldn't complain!

pharmakon said...

i agree with corinne! reading about the farm experience is deliteful! and i'm actually surprised that you haven't written about being MORE upset about the slaughtered animals. a un-evolved citygirl would be turning her nose up at the natural binary oppostion on a farm: life AND death. it's awesome; you're channeling your inner farmgirl (and we get to read about it)!