Sunday, September 7, 2008

Comic Relief

Well, I have a new role here as the butt of many jokes. My incompetence caused quite a riot during breakfast, let me tell you. ::sigh::
So Anders asked that I stay home and watch Britta today, because she can't be left on her own. Hilde was watching her yesterday, but went home with a stomache ache so can't be here with her today. A valid point, but I'm sure my uselessness on the mountaintop had something to do with the decision as well. Whatever, it means I don't have to kill myself today, and maybe I can rest enough to recover from this flu/cold/sickness, so I don't mind the reason.
He said while I was home today, I could bake them some more bread. I looked at him blankly. "What, you don't know how to bake bread either? Didn't you learn it in school?" Umm, no. Hardy har har, another laugh at Emma's expense! Can't hike mountains, can't bake. I had to remind myself that if I plopped any one of them down in BedStuy they'd be lost and mugged and extremely unhappy within 2 minutes. That's my only consolation. I wasn't a big useless lump in my own life, just when I'm out of my element here on the farm!

I'll need to practice my non-existent Norwegian skills today too, because Britta is too shy to use her English around me still. Maybe if she´s stuck in the house with me all day and no one else, she'll get bored enough to say a few English words to me. I met her teacher the other day when we picked her up from school, and the woman was from Texas! Lived in Norway for like 30 years, but when she was speaking to me in English she still dropped a few y'alls. Anyways, she said that Britta was very good at understanding me, she just didn't feel comfortable talking to me yet. So, we'll see. Wish me luck.

Man, if I screw up this bread I will be so annoyed!! Now I feel like I have to prove myself. Whatever. I'm a volunteer. They can laugh about me for months to come with the other wwoofers. Does it really matter? No. I'm sure they've had worse helpers than me over the years. I can't be THAT bad. Right?

1 comment:

pharmakon said...

did you tell them that you're much more like them than most of your american counterparts? that you're one of our best diplomats? that many of us think bread grows on trees...already sliced? that we think an "ewe" is what you say when someone has snot on their cheek? and that we do not prepare our own meat for anything except bar-b-quing?

they'd be thoroughly disgusted with the rest of us.